Recent Sermons

Friday, June 29, 2012

Live the Gospel - What's That Mean?


Heart change comes by a choice we make to read our Bibles, pray, attend church, and love others enough to share with them the Gospel (Jesus died, was buried, and rose again the third day).  Then we should compel them to believe in or rely upon that Gospel for their eternal life and a relationship with God.  Discipleship or sanctification comes next.  Saved people must separate themselves from the world to God.  For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ.  (Titus 2:11–13) 
I don’t read in the NT about unpacking the Gospel in my life.  That’s a bit mystical and abstract.  I also don’t believe we ought to grind things out in a dutiful, law-centered way.  But I do read and believe the following:  Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. (2 Corinthians 4:16–18) or Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. (1 Corinthians 9:24–27)  I think we ought to be clear and not clever.